Ottawa Salus seeks Residential Worker
Ottawa Salus Corporation
POSITION TITLE: RESIDENTIAL WORKER
DATE OF POSTING: August 23, 2017
DATE OF CLOSING: Until position is filled
- Casual relief
- Unionized positions
LOCATION: Grove Transitional Rehabilitation Home
The residential worker at the TRHP is responsible for the provision of client-centred support and rehabilitation in a residential setting that will foster a higher level of independent functioning for persons with a severe and persistent mental illness. The clientele are 10 adults (Male) leaving the Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre with community disposition orders. The worker will provide life skills teaching, basic counselling and early identification of changes in resident’s health status. Using psychosocial rehabilitation interventions, the worker will support the client in achieving there recovery goals. At a group level, he/she organizes group activities/outings, offers group advocacy, and provides support for meal planning and household chores.
- Responsible for the provision of client-centered support and rehabilitation in a residential setting.
- Provides life skills teaching, basic counseling and early identification of changes in resident’s health status.
- Supporting client’s achieving their recovery plan
- Encourages recreation/leisure activities
- Bachelor’s degree in the social sciences
- Experience in working with adults recovering from psychiatric illness.
- Experience working in a residential setting is an asset
- Experience in supportive counseling and crisis intervention to adults recovering from mental illness.
- Flexibility re: work schedule and willingness to work evenings, weekend and night shifts, availability during holiday and vacation periods
- Training in CPR, CPI, ASIST, Psychiatric rehabilitation, Concurrent Disorders, ASL and LSQ is an asset
- Bilingualism in French and English is an asset
- Fluency in additional languages is also an asset
PRE HIRING REQUIREMENT
- Academic certificate
- Criminal reference check
- Availability to work weekends and occasional overnight shifts (10:30pm-8:30am).
- Under the supervision of the Program Manager and/or his/her delegate:
- Provide supportive counseling and/or crisis intervention to client/tenants whenever necessary.
- Some teaching of life skills e.g. cleaning, cooking, etc.
- Outings with clients for recreation, appointments, etc.
- Be knowledgeable and up-to-date on all policies and procedures pertaining to emergency and crisis situations.
- Document as needed in communication book, incident reports, computer, etc.
- Supports clients in their medication regimes
- Follow the supervision and monitoring guidelines (example: curfew checks)
SUITABILITY, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS PROFILE:
- Displays a professional approach to the work along with values and attitudes that are in keeping with the helping professions(i.e. sensitivity, respect, understanding, sincerity, genuineness, perseverance, patience, compassion, positive outlook, non-judgmental attitude, acceptance, tolerance, etc)
- Client-centered, caring, supportive and reliable
- Sound judgment and common sense in decision making and problem solving; critical thinking, intelligence
- Demonstrates initiative, creativity, flexibility and independence
- Sense of humor
- Commitment to work and life-long learning
- Has a positive and optimistic view of others and demonstrates the ability to resolve workplace conflict with his/her manager and colleagues.
- Demonstrates an ability to work in a team as well as an ability to take independent action and initiative in the job
- Manages stress related to work environment
- Knowledge of mental health, mental illness and treatment modalities, including pharmacotherapy
- Knowledge of group dynamics theory and practice
- Knowledge of concurrent disorders
- Knowledge of health issues and of social problems associated with psychiatric disabilities and the impact of mental Illness on functional capacity
- Knowledge of Psycho-social Rehabilitation Principles
- Knowledge in the areas of teaching and coaching
- Knowledge of crisis intervention and prevention
- Knowledge of suicide prevention and intervention
- Knowledge of the forensic system
- Demonstrates an ability to establish supportive and positive relationships with all client groups supported by Salus
- Establish a supportive and respectful living environment
- Demonstrate an ability to teach new skills on an individual or group basis
- Develop and implement social, recreation and leisure activities
- Supports clients in meeting their individual goals in their recovery plan
- Ability to deescalate a crisis situation
Other duties may be assigned by the program manager, as needed.
$19.24 to 21.77 hourly
Please apply to Michael Gershuny, Program Manager, at email@example.com on or before the job posting closing date.